Username:    Password:    Remember me     
Forums
Padfone Club :: Forums :: Padfone Infinity Forums :: Padfone Infinity General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Changing SKU for the Padfone infinity...
Go to page  [1] 2 3
Moderators: Marc Schattorie, ctys2ard, oroo708, JHS_NL, RaithK, allram, Frits
Author Post
guylevy
Sat Jun 08 2013, 07:53AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1591
Hey all,

I just purchased the Padfone infinity from Taiwan.
this unit comes with a local ROM that has a lot of Chinese apps and also Garmin Street Pilot app which i don't need and also can't remove...
is there a way to change my ROM into a WWE ROM which i guess doesn't have these unneeded stuff for me?

Thanks,
Guy.
SparkyRih
Sat Jun 08 2013, 10:41AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
You can get anu full firmware package from the official Asus website and flash that one... But I don't think a WW SKU is available yet...
madcowtuning
Sun Jun 09 2013, 10:31AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1497
guylevy wrote ...

Hey all,

I just purchased the Padfone infinity from Taiwan.
this unit comes with a local ROM that has a lot of Chinese apps and also Garmin Street Pilot app which i don't need and also can't remove...
is there a way to change my ROM into a WWE ROM which i guess doesn't have these unneeded stuff for me?

Thanks,
Guy.

Just root the phone and remove what you want.
Raolin
Mon Jun 10 2013, 12:15PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1597
As far as i see a ww-rom is available. Do you think its possible to install an ww-rom on a taiwanese device?

Thanks
Raolin
SparkyRih
Mon Jun 10 2013, 01:47PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
Raolin wrote ...

As far as i see a ww-rom is available. Do you think its possible to install an ww-rom on a taiwanese device?

Thanks
Raolin

Yes, it is possible...
stan79
Mon Jun 10 2013, 04:57PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1600
I'm on Singapore starhub ROM and it is very old compared to the ww ROM, anybody can tell me how to update to the latest ww ROM by changing the sku?
SparkyRih
Mon Jun 10 2013, 05:03PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
stan79 wrote ...

I'm on Singapore starhub ROM and it is very old compared to the ww ROM, anybody can tell me how to update to the latest ww ROM by changing the sku?

I guess you're talking about either the first generation Padfone or the Padfone 2? Please make sure to post in the right topic next time...

Info on that can be found on the right side of this website: Padfone Firmwares (Files and How to install)

For Padfone:
http://www.padfoneclub.com/pl/content/content.php?content.15
For Padfone 2:
http://www.padfoneclub.com/pl/content/content.php?content.23
stan79
Mon Jun 10 2013, 06:25PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1600
No I'm referring to the new infinity. The starhub version even though only launched on 1st June but it comes with lot of bloatapps from telco star hub and it is few versions away the we ROM. Just wondering the padfone 2 way to flash different SKU will work for the new infinity?
SparkyRih
Mon Jun 10 2013, 06:50PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
I didn't know it was available in Singapore already...

I guess the Padfone 2 method will work fine (but make sure you get a firmware that's made for the infinity of course)...
stan79
Tue Jun 11 2013, 04:38AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1600
Saw a post from XDA on how to flash firmware of PF2 to different SKU. Just wondering if this method works with PFI too?

Make sure you have installed the Asus's driver. If you have no idea or do not know how, ask.
I used ADB Android SDK ( h-t-t-p://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html , it is located in sdk\platform-tools), make sure ADB recognizes the PF2 before.
The command you type in the terminal:

adb devices

I have run ADB from Windows, but if you use Ubuntu (or Linux in general) basically the syntax is the same.
If you have never sent a file via ADB in recovery, give it a try with any file before proceeding with the guide, so you know what you're doing when you get to step 4 and, above all, if you fail you will not formatted PF2 in vain.
The command you type in the terminal:

adb push filename.extension /data/media

"adb" is the name of the exe file in the folder where you execute it, you can also write adb.exe is the same;

"push" is the command that sends the file;

"filename.extension" is the file you want to send (example update.zip). The file to be sent must be in the same folder as adb.

"/data/media" is the destination path where the file will be copied. In our case that is the internal memory of the PF2.

Obviously before starting any command you have to move to the folder containing the file adb.exe (sdk\platform-tools if you have downloaded the Google ADT)

The PF2 must have the original recovery.

I personally changed SKU from WWE to CHT and vice versa before writing this simple guide.
My PF2 had the bootloader unlocked when I made the change, it should work with the bootloader locked, but my advice is to unlock it before you play because if something goes wrong, there is a chance to do something through fastboot for revive him.

Here we go:

1. Copy to the phone's internal memory the firmware you want to install, then reboot into recovery.

2. Select "apply update from external storage" and choose the zip file to flash.

At this point the recovery changes the partition table and then restarts.
On reboot we will have a nice "Installation aborted", this because, being changed the partition table, the recovery can not find the file to flash as it the partition containing the data has been reformed losing its contents. So you will need to copy the file again via adb.

3. Select "wipe data / factory reset"
You need to do a wipe, because it formats the partition where we will send the file. Having just changed, the partition has not a file system and so it must be formatted to save something on it.

4. Send via adb the firmware:
adb push xxxx.zip /data/media

5. Wait until the firmware is sent to PF2. ADB has spent 148 seconds to send the WWE (~ 713 Mb) and 172 seconds to send the CHT (~ 813 Mb).
You will not see any progress bar, so do not panic and just wait for the terminal will show the message sending done.

6. Select "apply update from external storage" and choose the zip file to flash.

The recovery will restart again, but this time the partition will not be changed so it will proceed with the upgrade.

Finished updating the PF2 restarts.

I suggest you do a wipe after the update in order to have a clean installation.

It 'important to note that when you make a change from one SKU (WWE, TW, CHT etc ...) to another one, it goes beyond the point 2 only if the recovery changes the partition table.
magictime
Tue Jun 11 2013, 11:59AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1604
Crossposting this since it's relevant... I successfully changed my CHT Padfone Infinity to TW today (both 10.6.8.16-0) without root. Can't guarantee anything or any other versions, but that it worked for me.

Step 1: Download the 1 gig full update of TW or whatever other version of SKU you want (haven't tried any others) from https://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/PadFone_Infinity/#support_Download_32. Unzip it (the update file is inside the zip... updateception?)

Step 2: Copy the file to phone SD Card

Step 3: Turn off phone

Step 4: Hold Volume Down button while turning on phone

Step 5: Enter recovery mode

Step 6: Apply update from external storage

Step 7: Select the file and flash

Step 8: ???

Step 9: PROFIT!!!

Is there any difference between the SKU apart from the fact that CHT cant be rooted? Was wondering if I should flash WW. Hoping to remove the 2 gigs of garmin streetwise thing that I'll never use...
stan79
Tue Jun 11 2013, 06:19PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1600
magictime wrote ...

Crossposting this since it's relevant... I successfully changed my CHT Padfone Infinity to TW today (both 10.6.8.16-0) without root. Can't guarantee anything or any other versions, but that it worked for me.

Step 1: Download the 1 gig full update of TW or whatever other version of SKU you want (haven't tried any others) from https://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/PadFone_Infinity/#support_Download_32. Unzip it (the update file is inside the zip... updateception?)

Is there any difference between the SKU apart from the fact that CHT cant be rooted? Was wondering if I should flash WW. Hoping to remove the 2 gigs of garmin streetwise thing that I'll never use...

Sounds great. I will give it a shot on this method tonight. What is the difference between WW Rom and TW Rom? Which is better in term of update and stability? TW Rom which is the Taiwan ROM will come with bloatapps that is not usable other than in Taiwan right?

Message was editted at 06:19PM:

magictime wrote ...

Yeah... it works from changing the Starhub SKU to WW SKU and along the way before it starts to update it says "Change partition..."
kleppar
Thu Jun 13 2013, 01:15AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1606
Hi, I see I have similar issue, having bought an Infinity with China mainland SKU (CUCC_V0.6.8.12), which I would like to change to another (I now live in Norway). Should I go for WW or TW (TW seems to have a newer version). Can I be sure the method described by magictime works?
barker
Thu Jun 13 2013, 02:32AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1059
Gonna try this out now for TW to WW, hopefully it nukes the garmin partition

**Update** Flashing TW to WW doesnt appear to work with the steps above.

[ Edited Thu Jun 13 2013, 04:53AM ]
stan79
Thu Jun 13 2013, 09:13AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #1600
barker wrote ...

Gonna try this out now for TW to WW, hopefully it nukes the garmin partition

**Update** Flashing TW to WW doesnt appear to work with the steps above.

just wondering what error does it says?
Go to page  [1] 2 3  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF