Username:    Password:    Remember me     
Forums
Padfone Club :: Forums :: Padfone S Forums :: Padfone S General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Padfone S2, got me one, am i alone with it?
Moderators: Marc Schattorie, ctys2ard, oroo708, JHS_NL, RaithK, allram, Frits
Author Post
bikenbook
Wed Dec 13 2017, 09:55PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #3481
Hiya mates, by a funny hazard i bought a Padfone S2, the one with 64 GB, the 820 cpu, 20 mp camera...
had to send it in to asus as the phone chip is not recognized and the (brilliant) vids have no sound. it will cost me around 500 € in total (including purchase) with probably a new mainboard and a complete overhaul by asus europe, which i consider a fair deal for this tool, as i work with the padfone 2 since a few years. it runs with android 6 and still takes any challenges via w-lan, so i decided to invest as the padfone 2 is getting too slow with modern apps and websites to work fluently .
is there anyone here having this model and any informaton to share?

greetz from kassel, otto
SparkyRih
Sat Dec 16 2017, 01:03PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
I have had all 3 of my A86 die, one of them I send in for a new main board, they said it would cost about €300,-, but since I liked the phone I approved... But than the news came: "Oh sorry, we don't have these boards anymore, we can't repair it"... So I got it back and bought a new second hand new Padfone Infinity... Which died, and I bought another one, which died the day I got it

Now I'm with the Zenfone 3...

I still have the very first "first generation Padfone", which still works great! (obviously it's way too slow for tasks nowadays though)...

I don't think there are many people who even have Padfone these days... This forum was pretty crowded in the days, but now it's lke a ghost town out here
bikenbook
Sun Dec 24 2017, 01:59AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #3481
well, repaired paddy came right in time, dec.23rd @ noon. runs fine, just am wondering where i find a prog to connect it to the pc... as i´m fine with being old school, let´s look 4ward, apparently new mainboard, new battery, nice.
merry and blessed christmas to all of you, especially SparkyRih and the best wishes from german countryside

[ Edited Sun Dec 24 2017, 02:00AM ]
SparkyRih
Mon Dec 25 2017, 02:34PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
You can just plug it into the computer, it will recognize it (might take a few seconds the first time though)...

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you as well from The Netherlands
abubasim
Fri Dec 29 2017, 02:49PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2750
There has been no news that there was a launch of the PadFone S2.

And if this was a developer version of an unreleased model then Asus would probably not accept to repair it.

What do you see in Settings->About, for example Model number?

I own a PadFone S bought about a year ago and can't really let go of it. I want to switch to another phone as I hate the camera, but losing tablet functionality and the thought of having to manage with only a phone's display makes me despair.

The camera's white balance and exposure is almost always perfect but that I can't adjust sharpening and noise reduction - to turn these off! - not even with third-party apps, makes me hate it.

[ Edited Fri Dec 29 2017, 02:54PM ]
SparkyRih
Sat Dec 30 2017, 12:47PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
I also had a hard time of letting go of the Padfone, that's why I had 3 A86's, but after the last one died I was done with it... Never selling my first generation Padfone Even though it's way too slow nowadays, it's just simply awesome, even better than all its newer versions...

I love my Zenfone 3 Deluxe though, it's a big step up compared to the new Padfone Infinity, but I also have an Asus Transformer Book TX300 as a tablet, but I still do miss the 10" android tablt though...

I hope Asus, or anyone else comes back with a good solution... I invested in the "Superscreen" on Kickstarter, but I think that turned out to be a scam...
abubasim
Sat Dec 30 2017, 01:36PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2750
I also owned the A86 before. Similar problems. First GPS stopped working, then the mainboard failed and there were no replacements available.

I must say that the PFS is both an upgrade and a downgrade from the A86: downgrade in build quality with the phone going from full metal jacket to smooth plastic back with chrome edges and the display station is slightly smaller and the USB port on it can't be used for anything except charging. But the quality of the display is much better, especially on the station. Very rich and natural colours. And this where the price difference is almost the double for the A86.

Right now I'm trying to get Qualcomm's SnapDragon Camera app working. The problem is that it requires Lollipop and rooting and the only root method I've found for LP is Kingroot which is now infested by malware.
SparkyRih
Mon Jan 01 2018, 01:30PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
Maybe you can find something in here: http://download.schattorie.nl/padfoneclub/

It's just a complete mess of stuff that has been posted on this forum and in articles, but you might find something useful? It's my own server, and most of this stuff comes either from my own devices, or have been used on my devices...

There's a folder with root tools as well...
mrbaloghakos9
Wed Jan 17 2018, 11:46PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2498
Hey Guys!
Great to see others still using their Padfones! I have been using my Infinity A86 since 2014, without any problem, until I dropped it. It was a hard fall from 1.5 meters on the edge of the stairs. Since that, my wifi and Bluetooth antennas are broken, so these both work only if the two devices almost touch each other. Well, I guess a back housing would solve the problem, as it has the antennas on it. Other than that, the phone is fully functional. (Rooted, original Android 4.4)

But this is not my main point of replying to this thread.

The thing I'm interested in, is buying an official Asus branded side flip case for the phone as the previous one just broke today, after 5 years of use.

So do you guys know any webshop where I could get an original side flip case for my PFI? eBay, and AliExpress didn't help. Only original Bumper cases, but no side flip.

Thanks for your help, and long life for the Padfones!

Cheers from Hungary!
--Akos
SparkyRih
Tue Jan 23 2018, 06:43PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #2
I do still have 3 A86 laying here, I have one with a broken camera and screen that I can send to you for next to nothing if you're interested... Or try www.asusparts.eu

I did a quick search for those covers as well, but didn't find anything... I think you're out of luck there...
dadjone
Mon Mar 26 2018, 10:15PM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #380
bikenbook wrote ...

Hiya mates, by a funny hazard i bought a Padfone S2, the one with 64 GB, the 820 cpu, 20 mp camera...
had to send it in to asus as the phone chip is not recognized and the (brilliant) vids have no sound. it will cost me around 500 € in total (including purchase) with probably a new mainboard and a complete overhaul by asus europe, which i consider a fair deal for this tool, as i work with the padfone 2 since a few years. it runs with android 6 and still takes any challenges via w-lan, so i decided to invest as the padfone 2 is getting too slow with modern apps and websites to work fluently .
is there anyone here having this model and any informaton to share?

greetz from kassel, otto

I have a padfone S plus, with 3GB of RAM, with 64GB of storage, plus a microSD slot. It is called "padfone S plus", not " padfone S2", hence I did not notice when it went out. It is a second hand, working nicely for four months, except that today, under Waze+OuiHop, it rebooted without prior warning.

The "padfone S plus" only went out in malaysia. If you know someone that can receive a parcell there, for ~300 EUR I would be able to receive another one, new. Paying is difficult, but a mail address there is even more difficult.

I still have to root it. Until then I also carry my padfone 2, still working nicely, although the battery has to be changed (I already bought a spare battery).

I also have a padfone S, also second hand.

I do not have the keyboard, the one that also fits the padfone X and the padfone S. If anyone can sell it to me I would be delighted.
dadjone
Tue Jan 08 2019, 10:51AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #380
I just got 3 keyboards (padfone stations dock for padfone X) from ebay.

I opened one box: it works.

It is heavier than the padfone station, to let it not fall when my hands are not on the keyboard.
Key F2 is mapped on "touchpad on/off" which is convenient.
Two-finger dragging does not work on the touchpad.
The right thumb is limited between options "space bar" and "menu bar", which is not very useful to me, I am used to use my right thumb for "Alt Gr" and "Control".
The "bluetooth" position of the power button is not like described in the manual, it should be documented as "bluetooth discoverable".

Don't close it without being sure that the padfone station S is fully inside the padfone station dock. Otherwise you may apply sharp metal pressure on the screen of the padfone station S.l

[ Edited Tue Jan 08 2019, 11:07AM ]
dadjone
Tue Jan 08 2019, 11:10AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #380

[ Edited Tue Jan 08 2019, 11:19AM ]
dadjone
Tue Jan 08 2019, 11:14AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #380
abubasim wrote ...

There has been no news that there was a launch of the PadFone S2.

Padfone S plus (a.k.a. PF500KL, called padfone S2 in this forum) was launched in mid 2015 in Malaysia, see https://liliputing.com/2015/04/asus-padfone-s-plus-smartphone-and-tablet-dock-revealed.html

It has 64GB of RAM, an SDcard slot, and is compatible with the padfone station for padfone S and the padfone station dock for padfone http://www.padfoneclub.com/pl/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?17501.post
dadjone
Tue Jan 08 2019, 11:18AM
{ASUS_EMPLOYEE}
Registered Member #380
abubasim wrote ...
What do you see in Settings->About, for example Model number?

ASUS_T00N

Android 6.0.1 from 2016/9/1, TW_13.6.5.35_20161006

The camera is 13M (4160x3120) but it not very crispy, we prefer by far to use the camera of Samsung S6 of my wife.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF